Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Alex: The Life of a Child by Frank Deford (review)


Alex: The Life of a Child by Frank Deford
5/5 Stars Dates read: 2/8/15- 2/10/15

I'm reading this for review from Netgalley.





The title caught my eye right away. I remember when I was younger reading a book with a similar title, and really thinking about it I think this is the same book I had read, but lost. I hadn't recognized the cover. I figured a new publication,and still trying to reach out to readers. I also remember reading about a young girl named Alex with Cystic Fibrosis. But it doesn't matter if it is the same book, or maybe more stories about her life.I enjoyed the book even though it was sad.
This tells the story of the life of Alexandra Deford. She was a young girl who battled with Cystic Fibrosis (CF) I think what had caught my attention to this story to begin with was not really the fact that I might of read it before or that we share the first same name, but the fact she has a rare genetic disorder as do I. I don't have CF, nor do I personally know anyone who does. I do however have NF. Neurofibromatosis. I have type 1. But I'm not about to go into a story on my life. Lets focus on Ms.Deford's.
All throughout the book I wanted to laugh, I wanted to cry. At times I wanted to feel her pain, and take it away. I could tell from the way her father wrote she was one of the sweetest persons you'd want to meet. She cared about people, and she lived life to the fullest. On her short time on earth she probably learned and taught more people in those 8 years, than some people do in a full lifetime.
Although I don't know the struggles of CF, NF does have it's own struggles, I'm not saying mine are worse. My mom,and brothers also have NF. One of my brothers was hospitalized for a while off and on for years. So I guess that's how I relate to the boring,long waits at the hospital. I hope Alex found comfort. Although not mentioned in the book I wonder if they got help from the Ronald McDonald House. I know they helped us through our journey.
I know this review is between about her life, and my life even though we don't share the same condition. I just feel I can relate to her in a way,and feel the need to share it. I think Alex Deford's story can help anyone struggling with any disorder. She had so much hope and laughter.
I would like to know more about her life,maybe even more about CF.

No comments:

Post a Comment