Saturday, February 14, 2015

When Smiles Face by Paige Dearth (Review)

When Smiles Fade by Paige Dearth
3.5 Stars
Dates Read: Feb 12-Feb14

I read this for a review on NetGalley



This review contains possible light spoilers,also this is a very violent book. More on that is at the end of this review.

I liked this story,and I didn't like this story. I normally read the true memoirs of child abuse,and not the fiction of it. This started out really well. I was scared for the girls (Emma and Gracie) The abuse started right away in the book. The abuse by the hand of their father happened for no reason or for the smallest things set him off.
'When Smiles Fade' had me glued,but after the girls left I felt it went downhill. Emma the main protagonist I feel made a lot of bad choices. The abuse may of been part of the cause,but I kept wondering why didn't she go to the authorities? I thought she was putting herself and her sister in the same situations she was in when she was a child. Sure she grew up with it,but she didn't really do much to change. A character in the book tried to help them,but tragic struck. I just was wondering why teachers never noticed or other neighbors? In the memoirs I read teachers surly noticed. I understand the author was a victim of child abuse herself, and she did a wonderful job with the fiction story,and I will read the others. I guess I just feel torn between feelings for the characters. I feel sad, but I also feel angry at them. The end left me wondering. I don't want to give too much away,but to me it felt like just Emma getting revenge on everyone. I know she wanted justice,but surely their could of been another way.

Let me say this book is not for everyone. It is very violent and disturbing. Although it is a work of fiction, I know abuse like this can be very real.So please tread with caution. If you have a weak stomach,or violence is not for you then you will want to pass on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment